Saturday, August 19, 2017

Thoughts On How Online Data Science Courses Stack Up To A Master's Degree - Gregory Ferenstein, Forbes

University degrees are really, really expensive and there are plenty of new startups in Silicon Valley offering job readiness training for much cheaper. So, how does a $100,000 graduate degree in statistics stack up to an online course for 1/100th the price? The short answer is that I think for many jobs, an online certificate in data science from a quality online education provider is comparable to a more traditional graduate statistics degree. For the past year or so, I've been sampling various online degree providers, including Udacity, Coursera, DataCamp, and EdX to see how they compare to my (much pricier) Master's in Mathematical Behavioral Sciences from the University of California, Irvine. I still have a lot of courses to take and will be doing more reviews in the future, but I think I now have enough experience to draw a few conclusions. https://www.forbes.com/sites/gregoryferenstein/2017/08/10/thoughts-on-how-online-data-science-courses-stack-up-to-a-masters-degree/#36b84c982c88